11/5/08

Dodgers Decline Penny's Option

So I guess his arm really is toast. They bought him out for 2 million. In a league where really crappy pitchers earn a lot of money, you'd figure Brad Penny would be worth 9 million bucks for 2009. Well, the move frees up money to go after C.C. and that Junichi Tazawa guy only to lose out to the Yankees.  I predicted they'd pick up the option and trade him but I guess the dodgers didn't see that working out either (maybe his arm is that bad that other teams would balk once they saw medical reports).   Penny will be a type B free agent when he files for free agency so the dodgers would get a sandwich pick for him signing elsewhere without having to worry about offering him arbitration.  


Wonder what's going on with Peavy?  I think I read that he has added more teams he would be willing to be traded to, but when I read it it really wasn't that at all.   Padres need to drum up the market and need more teams (or the illusion of it) to do that.  I would kind of worry about the angels except that their payroll is already kind of huge.

Not going to follow Manny contract stuff because with Boras, it's going to last until mid-late offseason.  I have no desire to go insane a la Dice-K watch and A-Rod's telenovela when he shook down the yankees for additional money.

0 Comments: