10/16/08

What I'll Remember Most About the End of the Season

is Jeff Kent striking out looking and arguing about it. If it was anyone else they'd have been tossed. It just exemplifies the kind of guy he is. He struck out twice. He struck out in a key situation with two runners on. He struck out looking. He had the situation in front of him that he always talks about, but he didn't produce. In the past Kent always had someone to blame for the team's failures, and it was never himself. It was younger players, or it was Milton Bradley, but never Kent. Now with failure seen right in the catcher's mitt we see the real Jeff Kent. Instead of professionally walking back to the dugout to beat himself up about it, he gave the ump an earful and threw down some equipment. If that's not ugly enough, come to find out in the paper that he just ditched the team once he found he was taken out of the game in a double switch. The game he talks versus what he does when things get hard is why I loathe Jeff Kent as a ball player. He's probably an o.k. guy, but that's not why I watch and follow the dodgers. It's the end of an era, the Jeff Kent era. I'm glad they won, but I'm also glad that's over.

Go Sox!

1 Comment:

Bizut said...

I don't mean to hijack your post, but I just finished watching the Sox. Holy. F-cking. Crap. Back to Tampa Bay!